Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:14:12 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, devet@devet.org, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Has the size of stable /modules increased a lot lately?

In message <200111201514.aa72952@salmon.maths.tcd.ie> Ian Dowse writes:
:
: I probably missed something important earlier in this thread, but
: installing the debug versions of the modules seems like a bug,
: since we don't install the debug version of the kernel. Adding
: "DEBUG=-g" has always simply required more space in /usr/src, but
: not affected the installed size. Does installing the debug versions
: of modules make sense at all, or is it just hard to fix the makefiles
: to stop it happening?

I think it is an oversight.  The kernel makefile has special code to
build -g, but not install (by doing a strip --debug, or the moral
equivalent) the -g image.  Likely we should do the same thing for
modules, now that I think about it.

Warner