Date:      Wed, 29 May 1996 10:33:43 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@tetard.hsc.fr>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org (current)
Subject:   Re: Panic in VM subsystem

Ollivier Robert écrit / writes:
> Hi everyone and John,
>
> I  just got a panic inside  the VM subsystem and  I was dropped into DDB. I
> had switched   to the console  because the  following  messages  started to
> appear on my console:
>
> May 28 19:10:39 keltia /kernel: vm_pageout_scan: page not inactive?

	Yo; same here : I stepped in today to find the console looping
	the following:

	vm_pageout_scan: page not inactive?

	Console was still active (could switch vtys) but I couldn't type
	anything. CTRL-ALT-DEL was ignored -- had to cold reset it.

	I reboot, start the make world again (!) and I hear man beeping
	on the console: it's pouring garbage.  So I login as root and
	reboot:

tetard# reboot

panic: freeing held page count=4 pindex=0
sync 78 78 78 78 78  [...]  giving up
dumping to dev 401
dump device bad
Rebooting...