Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 15:54:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to put a colon as a value in /etc/login.conf?

Hi -
	I would like to set an environment variable in /etc/login.conf
using the "setenv" paramater.  It currently reades like this:

  :setenv=MAIL=/var/mail/$,BLOCKSIZE=K,FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES:\

I would like to add:

  CVSROOT=:pserver:hostname:/path/to/cvs

But no matter what I try it doesn't work.  I can't quote the string, I
can't seem to escape the colons.  The manpage doesn't tell me if it's
possible...

I've worked around it by setting in the users directories that need it,
but login.conf is so nice and clean :)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-philip