Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:03:18 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PERC2 RAID support in 4.1-STABLE

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 09:09 -0400, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> At 01:40 PM 10/17/00 +0100, Mark Powell wrote:
> >
> >Hmmm. Get's a bit confusing with the model and series numbers.
> >The Enterprise 1500 is series 467. Which is the 466?
>
> Its a shorter PCI card than the others, single channel, SCSI
> LVD.  It has OK performance.  I am currently using it in a
> RAID0+1 type config.

Where can I learn more about the pitfalls?  I have a model 466
waiting to get employed (RAID5 config with three IBM drives) and
get very poor throughput in the 3MB/s range.  I'm aware of the
expensive directory manipulations but even "dd if=/dev/zero
of=$FILE bs=8388608 count=..." is this slow and I don't know
where to start searching.  This has been with 4.0-R and 4.1-R,
cvsup to -STABLE has just finished and results will be available
soon.

Is there a checklist for the things to do / to make sure?  Could
it be bad cabling rather than a software configuration thing?

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net