Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:30:57 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?David_Sieb=F6rger?= <drs@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        will@highveldcs.com
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Per-drive ATA configuration? (fwd)

Willie Viljoen wrote:
> I've recently set my system up in a rather perculiar way, the mainboard=

> (an Asus P3V133) has an onboard ATA-66 controller of some VIA flavour. =
> have a CMD-469 ATA-100 controller lying around, which was needed to run=
 my
> 40GB drive on an older motherboard.
[snip]
> I checked the ata(4) manpage, and they mentioned a sysctl called
> hw.atamodes. This sysctl (aparently) allows for individual tuning of AT=
> parameters. However, to my great dismay, I discovered that this sysctl
> does not exist on my system (FreeBSD 4.6-RC)

It was removed when the new ATA RAID code was MFC'ed during 4.5-STABLE.

> I've tried having sysctl display all its opaque variables, and this sys=
ctl
> still simply isn't there. I tried setting it from loader.conf asif it w=
ere
> a kernel tunable, again, to no avail.
>=20
> Has this controle been removed from the ata driver? Or has it simply no=
> yet been implimented...

On a recent system, you'll need to use atacontrol(8).  I guess you'll=20
need to do something like 'atacontrol mode 0 pio4 pio4'.

Though, personally, I would want to get rid of the old drive and I'd=20
run the newer drive on the UDMA66 controller.  I doubt the performance=20
difference between UDMA66 and UDMA100 is significant, particularly=20
with a single drive on the channel.

--=20
David Sieb=F6rger
drs@rucus.ru.ac.za