Date:      12 Dec 2002 13:30:31 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Corey Mosher <mosher@tht.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound Card Problems

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 13:11, Corey Mosher wrote:
> Hi, I'm having some trouble with my sound card.  I have a Hercules Muse XL.  I
> compiled my kernel with device pcm and did the MAKEDEV snd0.  My sound is
> only coming out of the front channel (the card has rear and center channel as

The driver probably doesn't properly support the other channels..
Patches would be accepted I bet :)

> well).  Also, my dmesg has the following:
>
> config> di sn0
> No such device: sn0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di lnc0
> No such device: lnc0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di ie0
> No such device: ie0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di fe0
> No such device: fe0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di cs0
> No such device: cs0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> q
>
> Anyone have any ideas on how I might get around these problems?  (I'm assuming
> they are related to each other).

They don't have anything to do with each other.

The stuff above is from /boot/kernel.conf disabling the devices that
where disabled using 'boot -c', and can safely be ignored.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5