Date:      Sat, 28 Feb 1998 02:36:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        toasty@dragondata.com, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/5870

> > Can this be documented in the man page then? :)
>
> ahh.. but it is... from newfs(8):
>      -m free space %
>                  The percentage of space reserved from normal users; the mini-
>                  mum free space threshold.  The default value used is defined
>                  by MINFREE from <ufs/ffs/fs.h>, currently 8%.  See tunefs(8)
>                  for more details on how to set this option.

I meant the df man page. :) I understand the reserved root space. I didn't
know that df was aware of it, or that it took it into it's calculations at
all.

> > In any case, it seems technically incorrect to have a filesystem being 108%
> > used, agreed? :)
>
> so? what do you propose?  have df report incorrect values and report
> it only 100% used when it really is 108% used?  I can't see how modifing
> the current behavior will improve it...  because if you modify it to
> report it over the total usage, then the number only is useful for root
> and not for the normal user (which uses it more)...

I think it should divide the total blocks the fs has, by the number used,
completely ignoring the reserved area. The average user doesn't need to know
that there's a part of the disk they can't use. Either it's a public machine
with quotas preventing things from getting that bad, or it's a private
machine where the owner is root. :)

If I am root, and it tells me i'm at 100% usage, I assume i'm full, and
cannot write any more data. 100% full means 'no more' to me, not 'no more
the average user can use'.

Kevin