Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 12:35:11 -0600
From:      Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>
To:        slava <sl@zeus.dnt.md>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD kick-start diskette

On Sun, Jul 25, 1999 at 11:20:20AM +0000, slava wrote:

> Hi
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to make a kick-start FreeBSD
> installation diskette so that I would have the install plus packages
> on a central NFS machine also running a DHCP server.
>
> Then I would boot from this floppy each of the other machines on the
> flat network and authomate the proccess of getting the IP from DHCP,
> partiotioning the disk, specifying the distribution I want installed
> as well as the packages and get the job done via NFS.
>
> This would very much help when you have a class of 30 PC and you want
> to set up the machines the same way as fast as possible.
>
> Has anyone done this with FreeBSD?

Just did it. Basically I set up one workstation and the server and took
dumps using rsh. I stored the dumps on the server and created a PicoBSD
floppy to automatically partition, slice, newfs, restore the stuff.
Since I have DHCP, i didn't have anything else to configure (all the
workstations have the same software). Write if you need more details,
I had a web page describing the process but is completely obsolete for
3.x and used another more complicated method. I'm in the process of
upgrading the page and will send you the URL when it's ready.

regards,

-Oscar

--
For PGP Public Key: finger obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu