Date:      Sun, 12 May 2002 11:31:14 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew <andrew@ugh.net.au>
To:        Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Large numbers of users

On Sat, 11 May 2002, Lord Raiden wrote:

> the limit of users is 65k per machine?  Is there a way to setup mail
> services that doesn't require me to have any actual user accounts on the
> machine, yet still provide mail services?

Yes...numerous ways. Have a look at the docs for your MTA (I reccomend
postfix) and read about virtual users. Then you'll need a POP/IMAP server
that supports it. I came across vdpopd the other day and it looks quite
good. The cyrus stuff might help as well.

You can end up using LDAP or SQL to store your user dtabse which is better
from an admin POV anyway if you have that many users.

Andrew