Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:35:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mbuf header bloat ?

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Bosko Milekic wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 11:31:39AM -0500, Robert Watson wrote:
> > BTW, do you have any recent large-scale measurements of packet size
> > distribution?  In local tests and measurements, the additional 20 bytes on
> > i386 didn't bump the remaining mbuf data space sufficiently low to
> > substantially change the behavior of the stack.  However, I haven't done
> > measurements against the 64-bit variation.  In practice, a number of
> > network interfaces now seem to use clustered mbufs and not attempt to use
> > the in-mbuf storage space...  All my packet distribution measurements come
> > from a typical ISP environment, but may not match what is seen in
> > large-scale backbone environments.
>
>   I am equally curious about this.  One of the design assumptions for
>   mbufs and clusters, according to McKusick et al. (and I believe
>   another text which currently escapes me) is that packets are typically
>   either very small or fairly large.  Given the MAC label additions
>   (yes it would be nice if this was done using the m_tag interface but
>   at the very least one can say that they are implemented fairly
>   'consistently' despite the fact that they appear imposing to the
>   general mbuf structure), and the currently available data region in
>   the mbuf, it is absolutely necessary to know whether the assumption of
>   packet size distribution still holds before a decision is made on how
>   to modify the MAC label implementation - if at all.

It's worth pointing out for those listening, and as I'm sure you're
already aware, m_tag was not available for use by the MAC Framework when
we did any of the design and implementation, and m_tags were committed to
the tree about three months after the MAC work.  I'm happy to look at
switching the mechanism used for MAC to m_tag, especially once m_tag is
mature enough to be used, but it wasn't a design consideration in our
first pass simply because it didn't exist :-).

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories