Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 09:43:11 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Naoki Hamada <nao@sbl.cl.nec.co.jp>
Cc:        nate@sri.MT.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Attention 3C5X9 owners

> >Can you please test out this patch to /sys/i386/isa/if_ep.c to make sure
> >this works?  This changes the way the driver selects the different card
> >ports (AUI/BNC), and is needed for the PCCARD support (not included).
> >In order to get the BNC connector working on my 3C589 card, but since
> >it's based on code that was originally for the 3C509 I suspect it should
> >work.
>
> Nate, your patch still lacks some cases

I noticed that *after* I sent it out and corrected them in my version,
but since the response wasn't very overwhelming I decided to wait until
someone else piped up.  Thanks for doing this.

> and breaks some important
> information. I carefully studied the logic and made the connector
> selection scheme a bit clearer and robuster, I hope.

Great.

> >I need folks who have AUI connections, and folks who have BNC
> >connections to test this to make sure it works, or even better folks who
> >have both can test it to make sure it works fine with both.
>
> My 3C509B-COMBO works fine with the following patch. Switching between
> UTP and BNC is quite easy. (Just type 'ifconfig ep0 link1 -link2' or 'ifconifg
> ep0 link2 -link1'.)
>
> I have no AUI equipment, and what is worse, my 3C589B is now under
> repair, so we need some other tests!

Is there anyone who can test the AUI stuff?

In any case, I'll try out this version with my other PC-CARD patches and
see if it works.

Thanks!

Nate