Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:44:24 -0400
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 20064 for review

Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> Note that this is arguably incorrect for all policies but LOMAC, since
> "fail stop" is the desired behavior for Biba, MLS, SELinux, and others.
> This is why I changed the default for cow to off.  We should look into a
> way to provide both what LOMAC and the other policies need, perhaps by
> having two entry points: one for the purpose of downgrading with COW, one
> without.  In particular, pay attention to cases like:
>
> 	LOMAC wants to downgrade write to read-only
> 	Biba wants to remove write entirely
>
> The desired composition in this case is probably the Biba result.

Well, note that nothing at all was enforced previously, and only LOMAC is
capable of requesting downgrade at the moment, so this is effectively a
LOMAC option, but in the wrong place :)  I think the simple solution would
be adding an int *dontCOW argument, and in policies which would like to
revoke without COW something like:

	if (shouldrevoke(subj, obj)) {
		*perms &= ~VM_OBJECT_READ;
		if (I_should_not_COW)