Date:      Sat, 7 Nov 1998 08:31:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID1 Software vs Hardware

Greg Lehey recently said:
> On Friday,  6 November 1998 at 19:42:15 -0500, Bill Vermillion wrote:
> > Christopher Nielsen recently said:

> >> Your really not going to see very good performance with RAID if
> >> you're using only two spindles (i.e., discs).  ...

> > I've found that I get a 50% throughput increase (typical)when
> > running RAID 0 with 2 drives.

> That's what theory would tell you.

No - not theory.  Measured in real-life - running HW raid 0 - on a
clients SCO system.  We needed more speed.  It may be slightly
under 50% - but it's darn close.

I have timed the same drive on SCO and FreeBSD - a 9GB 'cudda, and
the raw SCO performance through the file-system is in the 3MB/min
range, while using the FreeBSD file-system - as shipped - no mods,
etc,. it is between 2 and 3 times faster than SCO's.  Controller is
DPT with a hunk of cache.  All timing was done with 100MB minimum
file sizes usiing iozone.

> > RAID 1 will give no increase in some areas, and writes are slower,

> This depends a lot on the configuration.  You need to write to every
> copy (plex in vinum jargon), whereas you only need to read from one.
> In practice, if you're running SCSI disks or IDEs with UDMA on
> different controllers, you'll delay the writes to the speed of the
> slowest disk.  On average that's slower than a single disk, but not
> much.

I've only used HW RAID devices so I can't comment on the other
implementation.   The RAID Standards Board (I think that's the
correct name) has permitted a pair of striped drives to be
designated RAID 0, while in reality it is not a RAID.

They current have 6 classes - 0 thru 5 - and there is a chart
in Adaptec's book on I/O subsytems listing the pro's'/con's of
each.  RAID2/3/4 aren't used, and from what I've seen drives that
use to have spindle sync for byte/sector striping aren't being made
anymore.  But with drives now at 20MB/sec+ speeds, the old needs
are gone.

I can't comment on IDE as I've never used them.

> > but it will boost the read throughput if different files are being
> > accessed, just as if you load balanced multiple single disks..

> BTW, ccd always reads from the same copy of the data, so this doesn't
> work.  But in principle you're right.

Reading from two disks for different files is one of the touted
features of most HW implementations.

Bill