Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 12:33:53 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        leclercn@videotron.ca
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Vinum(8) segfault on alpha (was: vinum & dhcp3 port problems)

On Friday, 16 March 2001 at 20:38:36 -0500, tcn wrote:
> vinum)
>
>   I am having difficulties with vinum.  I recently had to recreate my
> plexes so I resetted the configuration and started a fresh one.  I had a
> raid1 configuration.  Whenever I try to reate the mirror, vinum throws a
> segmentation fault "eg. mirror -n mirror /dev/da0g /dev/da2f".  When I
> set verbose on, I get a core dump (sig 11 - don't you say it's my
> hardware, I can reproduce this as often as I want and no other part of
> the system is having this behaviour).  I then tried to print the config
> and had another dump after seeing this line:  "drive ve0 device".  ve0
> should have been vinumdrive0.  I also found that ve0 and ve1 links are
> created in the current directory pointing into /dev/vinum/drive/veX.
> The vinum directory in /dev doesn't change at all.  No volume/plex/sd is
> created.  This looks like a bad pointer or something.
>
>   Has vinum changed since 4.3-BETA20000308 ?

I don't know that reference.  If you mean 20010308 as a date, then
"no".

What I need is a debug version of vinum(8).  Do this:

  cd /usr/src/sbin/vinum
  make clean
  make DEBUG_FLAGS=-g
  make install STRIP=

Then run vinum as before and collect the dump.

At this point I have a problem: I don't have access to an alpha, so I
won't be able to analyse the dump unless you (or somebody else) give
me access to a machine.  The obvious thing to do would be to look at
it on your machine, if that's possible.

> dhcp3 port)
>
>    I tried this port and found that it cannot answer any queries.  I
> suspect an int size problem.  dhcp2 port works fine, dhcp3 drops bogus
> hlen packets.  (and there aren't any!)

You shouldn't mention two unrelated problems in one message.  The
second one is liable to get missed.

Greg