Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:02:43 +0000
From:      Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Entities for manpages installed by ports

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 11:59:33AM -0800, Hiten Pandya wrote:
> > > How do I deal with references to manual pages
> > installed by ports ?
> > > Someone.  Please.  Help.
>
> hi,
>
> I think we need to re-structure the way we reference
> to man pages from the docs.  We should make it in
> such a way, that all the man pages that are supported
> by /cgi/man.cgi can be referenced, let that be
> NetBSD's
> set or our own set of man pages.. or ports...
>
> I am saying we should make a new tag called <man> or
> something like <manref>.
>
> For example:
>
> <manref section="8" name="sysinstall"
>         base="FREEBSD44-REL">
>
> The above tag would produce the following HTML:
> <a
> href="http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=sysinstall&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+4.4-RELEASE">;
>
> For the PDF, it would just produce: sysinstall(8)
>
> I think this would be a great way to solve our
> dillema ;)
>
> Suggestions?

I like it - I assume that the package building cluster could somehow feed
man.cgi with all the manpages for the ports ?

For the moment I'm going with :
    This configuration file is described by the
    <filename>dhcpd.conf.5<\filename> manual page installed by the
    port.

for my patch, but long term the above would be nice.

--
keep a mild groove on