Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 19:38:04 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        "Daniel J. Zaccariello" <marisombra@mindspring.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, John Papalia <john@jpepconsulting.com>, Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>, smkelly@slashnet.org, insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and IRC

On Wed 2000-05-03 (22:10), Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> FWIW: I've never seen this sort of attitude in the linux world.

You don't IRC, do you?  You aren't on any linux mailing lists, are you?

You don't see me complaining on linux lists that the #linux people
wouldn't let me on because I IRC from a machine named "ns1.*", do you?
You don't see me complaining on linux lists that I used to get kicked
off any number of Linux channels for simply _mentioning_ FreeBSD, or
that Linux users are occasionally very nasty to me.

> Hearing such opinions from JKH is like hearing them from Linus
> Torvalds or Alan Cox, not from some anonymous troller.  The
> knowledgeable Linux people never try to alienate the user community in
> this way.

I don't know.  One ever hears non-technical opinions from the
abovementioned?

We can't really do anything about it.  We can't force EFnet to give us
the channel.  We can't force the ops to give us the channel.  There is
no way to rename a channel.  IRC wasn't designed for trademark disputes.

> Which is exactly why the whole topic *does* belong on advocacy.  Much
> of the linux users' loyalty to their system is because of the pleasant
> experience they get from the "community".  Whereas a lurker on this
> list reading this thread would come away with a very bad impression.

My loyalty to FreeBSD has a lot to do with the community.  Well, the
community that doesn't bitch about stuff we can't fix.

Look, it's a problem, I'll admit that.  You see me hanging out on
EFnet #FreeBSD trying to help out, and bitching to the ops who kick
people without reason.  It hasn't changed anything.  Can I do any more?
Wait a few weeks/months until I get ops, and take over?  And when I go
away, or ping timeout, then what?

And if one of the former ops gets ops, and they take over, and I never
get ops back?  Look, it's just not like we can do anything besides say
to them - "Look, it'll be nice if you didn't act that way on a channel
with our operating system as a name, and could you please maybe move
elsewhere if you want to behave like that."  Ok, now it's done.  Now
what are _you_ doing about it to the problem element?

This reminds me of someone complaining that freebsd.something.com had
lots of anti-Linux propoganda.  Now, what the hell is FreeBSD supposed
to do about it?  What _can_ we do about it?

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Hacker In Chief, Sunesi Clinical Systems