Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 2015 06:45:21 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Kyle <knusbaum@sdf.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Virtualization on FreeBSD

I've recently installed FreeBSD on my home server to replace my linux
install after getting frustrated with some of the newer software.

I'll prefix this question by saying I really like FreeBSD much better so
far, except for the following.

One thing I really liked about my previous system was KVM, Linux's
kernel-supported virtualization. It always worked really well.

I've been trying VirtualBox, QEMU, and bhyve with FreeBSD as a host, but
none of them seem to work anywhere near as well as the KVM on Linux.

VirtualBox seemed to have issues with the networking.
I couldn't get KQEMU to work (it always gave me 'kqemu support: disabled'
in the kqemu console), and QEMU was too slow without it.
bhyve looks good, but it seems from what I've read that it only supports
FreeBSD and grub-bootable VMs.

Is there anyone who has had better success than me at using FreeBSD as a
host for virtualization?

Thanks

knusbaum@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org