Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2013 22:57:31 +0100
From:      "Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        "Stuart Barkley" <stuartb@4gh.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and snd_hdspe last-ditch attempt

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 21:36:08 +0100, Stuart Barkley <stuartb@4gh.net> wrote:
> I like BSD and it's my server OS of choice.  I'm curious where your
> interest in BSD originates, since you appear to have had some luck
> with Linux.

I want to test my RME HDSPe AIO sound card, because on Linux I only can
use 2 of the 8 ADAT IOs. The driver doesn't support more, OTOH I can use
the card's internal mixer with Linux. I googled for FLOSS *NIX and
existing drivers and besides Linux I only found FreeBSD supporting this
card.

If I shouldn't be able to test all IOs with FreeBSD, I need to install
Windows and who likes to do this ;)?

Linux can be used for professional audio production, assumed you don't
need compatibility with most other professional studios and assumed you
won't produce top 40 charts music, since auto-tune isn't available for
Linux.

I'm using Linux for the home studio only, when I worked as engineer I
anyway preferred analog gear and for my old homestudio analog gear + SMPTE
to sync a hard real-time capable sequencer, IOW the Atari ST. FWIW using
jack2 with alsarawmidi on a well tuned Linux PC, there also isn't MIDI
jitter anymore.

Regards,
Ralf