Date:      Sun, 6 Mar 2005 17:06:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with libgphoto2, Canon Ixus v2 (USB) and 5.3-STABLE

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Roland Smith wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 07:48:16PM +0100, Olivier Certner wrote:
>> 	I've tried to download a few pics from my Canon Ixus v2 camera with
>> libgphoto2 (frontends: kamera and gphoto2) without success. The camera is
>> supported though, I even used libgphoto2 successfully on a Linux system with
>> an older version of the lib (which I don't remember!).
>
> In dealing with digital cameras, I've always found it easier to try and
> mount them as a USB drive (via umass / da), which a lot of them
> support. If you hook up the camera, is there any mention of a umass
> device in dmesg? If so you can just mount it as a harddisk.

Agreed. I've never even attempted to use gphoto or anything like it. I
just plug in the USB cable and copy files from the camera. Quick and
easy, no special software needed. Once the pictures are off the camera,
you can have your evil way with them :^)

Another nice thing is that I can cd to the directory on the camera's
"drive" where the pictures are stored, and manipulate them from a shell
prompt, instead of having to deal with the camera's menu buttons. To
make life easier, I have an entry in /etc/fstab:

/dev/da0s1       /camera     msdos   rw,noauto       0     0

...and a symlink:

lrwxr-xr-x   1 chris chris 21 Mar  6 16:59 camera -> /camera/dcim/101msdcf

(this is for a Sony camera, but you get the idea.)

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]