Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 1998 16:22:02 -0600
From:      William McVey <wam@sa.fedex.com>
To:        Bill Woodford <woodford@cc181716-a.hwrd1.md.home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Would this make FreeBSD more secure?

Bill Woodford wrote:
>I think this is a good idea.  The change in perms didnt seem to affect
>anything else in a bad way, and it got rid of a setuid.  Andre, thanks
>for posting it!

Did this work for you?  Can you actually "break" your xlock?  It
didn't work for me when I did it originally because getpwnam, which
is what xlock apparently calls, only returns the shadow'ed encrypted
password entry if geteuid() returns 0 (at least this is how FreeBSD
2.2.5 is does it (my 3.0 machine is suffering from hardware problems
right now).  I posted a proposed "fix" for this, which no-one has
really commented on.

 -- William