Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:22:32 +0900 (JST)
From:      NINOMIYA Hideyuki <nin@shikoku.ne.jp>
To:        bsd-nomads@clave.gr.jp, bsd-usb@clave.gr.jp, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        imp@harmony.village.org
Subject:   Re: [bsd-nomads:16066] Re: proposal: /etc/pccard_ether renaming

Hello,

# This mail send To: bsd-nomads@clave.gr.jp,
#	bsd-usb@clave.gr.jp, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
# This is a thing only FreeBSD

This is proposal: /etc/pccard_ether renaming

    Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 03:38:04 +0900 (JST)
    Subject: [bsd-nomads:16054] proposal: /etc/pccard_ether renaming
me> I think that we had better rename its /etc/pccard_ether.
me> How do you think ? To all.
me>
me> This proposal is not pccard nic association, and it is a thing about
me> usb lan adapter....
me>
me> I wrote like next in /etc/usbd.conf
me> ---8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<---
me> # $FreeBSD: src/etc/usbd.conf,v 1.5.2.2 2000/10/16 16:32:12 n_hibma Exp $
me> device "USB ethernet"
me> 	devname "[ack]ue[0-9]+"
me> 	attach "pccard_ether ${DEVNAME} start"
me> 	detach "pccard_ether ${DEVNAME} stop"
me> ---8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<---
me> This is very useful.
me>
me> So I thought that file name of this pccard_ether was not good.
me>
me> Because the removable interface was only pccard when this script
me> was written at first, thus it was good. But we can use usb now
me> and may increase furthermore sometime soon (BlueTooth, FireWire
me> ... etc...).
me>
me> Because it is useful for all they removable interface, we will
me> rename this script into better identifier and I think that it
me> is good to use by default this in usbd.conf.
me>
me> some renaming idea:
me> removable_ether
me> rc.removable_if

I got the following comment from Mr. Warner for this email.