Date:      Mon, 9 May 2011 19:57:46 -0400
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC][Change-Request] Create usefulness in rc.subr etc/rc.conf.d/*.conf namespace.

--KDt/GgjP6HVcx58l

Doug,

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 04:27:54PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 05/09/2011 16:01, Devin Teske wrote:
> > Hi Doug,
> >
> > First, let me say that we're on the same page,
>=20
> We're not, actually.
>=20
> > but I'd like to take a shot at a worthwhile use-case.
> >
> > Also, I know you were addressing jhell but I thought I'd chime-in becau=
se we
> > (VICOR) feel that this feature would be very useful to us (envisioned u=
se-case
> > described below).
> >
> > Use Case:
> >
> > 1. One of many customers runs a site with, say, 35 servers and 89 works=
tations.
> > 2. Each/every machine has a "role" which requires certain services to b=
e enabled
> > 3. Server "roles" enable NFS, SSH, FTP, as well as other services
> > 4. Workstation "roles" have a wholly separate set of services (with some
> > in-common)
> > 5. Pedestals are yet another "role"
> > 6. Machines can satisfy multiple roles
> > 7. The roles are additive
> > 8. There are separate roles for different products
> >
> > So if we need hardware-A to run products A and B in roles "A-Server" and
> > "B-Server", we'd install "/etc/rc.conf.d/product-A-server.conf" and
> > "/etc/rc.conf.d/product-B-server.conf".
>=20
> You can already do this at least 2 different ways. The first is the=20
> method I outlined in my previous post. The second would be to have=20
> wrapper rc.d scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d that start the required=20
> services for either product; with or without correspondingly named=20
> config files in /etc/rc.conf.d. (Personally I would set the right values=
=20
> in the scripts themselves.)
>=20
> So, there are at least 2 different ways that you can achieve the same=20
> effect that already exist, and I strongly suspect that if I thought=20
> about it long enough I could come up with a couple more. I'm still=20
> willing to listen to a use case that can't be achieved without this=20
> change, but to be honest I'm dubious.
>=20
>=20

Sorry Doug but rc.conf.d is already laid out for the user to use as=20
mentioned by rc.conf(5) with a suggested use but unfortunately has quite a=
=20
few side effects that I am not going to bother re-writing about again.

out the broken functionality fairly clearly or at least I hope clearly=20
enough that you realize how a normal user would look at it.

=46rom scratch, no rc.conf. Setup a NFS server with lockd, statd, mountd,=
=20
rpcbind using only rc.conf.d/${_name} namespace and then try starting=20
these services using service(8) and /etc/rc.d/* files. Then read=20
rc.conf(5) and tell me the suggestion for jail makes sense.

If you still disagree after doing this then please by all means eradicate=
=20
rc.conf.d from rc.conf(5) and remove its functionality from rc.subr as it=
=20
is less than adequate for anybody other than a developers natural use.

I do not quite understand why you take such an opposition against=20
something that fixes this broken functionality but yet retains its=20
original use.

--=20

 Regards, (jhell)
 Jason Hellenthal