Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 15:53:11 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Richard Stallman came to town

> What I saw was a short and hairy, almost unkempt, man who smiled lightly
> when I made eye contact.  He was tired, presumably from an unknown number
> of previous engagements, and slumped over the desk while waiting for the
> room to fill.

Heh, yes, RMS's personal appearance is quite legendary but that
doesn't stop him from being an uncommonly effective and intelligent
speaker when he wants to be.  If I had even a tenth of his skill at
giving purely off-the-cuff presentations without slides, making each
presentation sound fresh even though I'd done it hundreds of times,
I'd be a very happy man.

You don't have to agree with the man's beliefs, and having known RMS
for going on 15 years now I can say that there's a lot of points we
don't agree on, but you can't help but respect his intelligence.  It's
clear to anyone who meets and spends any amount of time talking to him
that RMS is no idiot and anyone who dismisses him as such has clearly
not done their homework.

- Jordan