Date:      Fri, 3 Mar 95 9:46:52 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        barkovich@uclac1.chem.ucla.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: installation

> I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.0 for Intel-based PCs and ran into a
> problem.  My CD-ROM drive is attached to a Pro Audio Spectrum 16 sound
> card.  My disk controller is an Adaptec 2842.  When I tried to install
> FreeBSD from CD-ROM, the installation program cound not find my CD-ROM
> drive.  Upon further inspection, I noticed the following message in the
> kernel "pas0 not probed due to i/o address conflict with ahc0 at 0x1f88".
> For ahc0 -- "ahc0 at 0x1000 - 0x1fff irq 11 on eisa".  I could not
> manage to get FreeBSD to recognize my CD-ROM drive without disabling
> my disk controller (ahc0) which caused the panic message and reboot.  If
> there is any solution to this I would appreciate if you could tell me.
> The only solution I can think of is to hook the CD-ROM directly to my
> Adaptec controller, but I would prefer other options as I would have to
> switch the SCSI cable any time I switched from DOS to BSD because I have
> programs already set for the previous configuration.  Sorry about going
> off on this.  I'd appreciate any help...Thanks...

You get the panic because the cdrom is not at the expected I/O address,
I think.

You need to examine your hardware, write down the locations of all
the cards, and then reboot with -c and change it before the kernel
becomes active.  This should solve your problem.

I don't think your adaptec would work at all if they were truly
conflicting.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---