Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 06:30:03 +0200 (SAST)
From:      The Psychotic Viper <psyv@sec-it.net>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: hotmail question

Hi again,

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:

> Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> types:
> > However, I don't belive that they have.  If you Telnet into the SMTP port
> > on any of Hotmails mailservers, you most definitely do NOT get a
> > Microsoft Exchange banner, unless they have totally modified the SMTP
> > banner.  (which I fail to see the point of why they would do this)
>
> Possibly it's a different MS SMTP server than exchange? For instance,
> there appears to be one bundled with IIS.
that is highly possible, considering Hotmail wouldnt need to do half as
much as Exchange offers so it could be a scaled down version (in-house or
private even?).

> > One characteristic of Sendmail's banners is that they issue the time and
> > date as part of the greeting.  I don't know if qmail does also, but I
> > don't see why they wouldn't. Microsoft Exchange does not.  The Hotmail
> > SMTP servers definitely do.
> Both of these have the time and date in them, and look like MS servers
> to me:
>
> 220 tkecmailc02.one.microsoft.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service,
> Version: 5.0.2195.1600 ready at Thu, 20 Sep 2001 19:40:20 -0700
>
> 220-mail5.mmcable.com Microsoft SMTP MAIL ready at Thu, 20 Sep 2001
> 21:43:05 -0500 Version: 5.5.1877.537.53
>
> I could understand MS tweaking a Unix MTA to claim to be Microsoft,
> but why would mmcable do that?
Dont have any NT boxes running mail (fortunately) so cant test right now
and would be pulling this far off topic anyways, also oddly enough the web
front ends seem to be OS scanned but not the smtpds, does anyone else
smell fish?

Whatever happens it makes no real difference what they run I guess.:)

PsyV
(promise this is the last from me on this topic)(...honest)