Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 2014 10:29:26 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Jukka Ukkonen <jau789@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: glib-2.36.3_2 works just fine without libiconv

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 6:48 AM, Jukka Ukkonen <jau789@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tested this modifying glib Makefile as follows...
>
> #USES=          gettext gmake iconv:wchar_t pathfix pkgconfig shebangfix
> perl5
> USES=           gettext gmake pathfix pkgconfig shebangfix perl5
>
> ... and everything seems to be just fine after rebuild and reinstall.
>
> I hope this helps.
> --jau

Yes, it does until/unless you install graphics/rawtherapee. At that point,
everything falls apart as rawtherapee calls a routine in glibmm that calls
a routine in glib that uses calls wchar_t which does not exist in the base
iconv. rawtherapee is a very popular port, too.

I build glib without iconv as I am confident that I won't install
rawtherepee, but glib does call wchar_t, so it technically is always broken
when the ports iconv is not installed. If any other program calls the glib
routine, it will fail, too. So the port (unedited) always pulls in the
port, although most people will never have a problem with the use of the
port lacking iconv.

I suppose the use of the ports iconv could be made an option, it still
leaves a hidden bomb that might go off at any time, so it i safest to let
it install iconv.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com