Date:      Fri, 1 May 1998 22:42:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Javier Henderson <javier@kjsl.com>
To:        "Francisco Reyes" <reyesf@newsguy.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   SMTP vs Spam

Francisco Reyes writes:
 > My web provider is currently considering blocking SMTP access because
 > their servers have been used for mailing SPAM by non users.
 >
 > Has anyone found a better solution to fighting abuse of SMTP other
 > than just plain blocking it?

	Yes. Look at http://www.sendmail.org/ for instructions on
how to fight off SPAM attacks on your sendmail-based SMTP server. Also,
http://spam.abuse.net/spam/ for related info.

	Your ISP should configure their sendmail (or whatever mailer
they use) to not accept mail from non-subscribers, instead of cutting
everyone off. In fact, how do they propose that their customers send
mail?

 > How about using POP3 to send email? My personal NNTP provider gives
 > me an email account and this is what they use.

	You use POP3 to retrieve mail, not to send mail.

-jav