Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 1999 08:46:35 -0600
From:      "Jay West" <jlwest@tseinc.com>
To:        "Sascha Blank" <blank@fox.uni-trier.de>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: AMD K62/450 with 3dNOW! kernel build cc1 catches sig4

Someone wrote....
> Have you checked that the core power for the cpu has been set correctly?
The
> 450MHz K6/2 needs a core power of 2.4V instead of the <=400MHz versions
that
> only need 2.2V.  I have experienced by myself if the core power is too
low -
> 0.1V are already enough - the cpu will start to cause crashes for unknown
> reasons when put under heavy load (for example a "make world").  Reducing
the
> cpu clock to 400MHz helped in my case.

Yes, this has been checked. Matter of fact, I got two more sets of
motherboards, memory, and cpu's. All exhibit the problem.

CPU: AMD K62/450
Motherboard: Baby AT ASUS P5A-B w/Aladin chipset
Memory: 128mb PC100 (various manufacturers)

The problem remains. Set everything for 450mhz and a custom kernel build
generates cc1 catching signal 4. Set the clock back to 300mhz and everything
runs ok.

PLEASE - any ideas????? I have no idea where to look....

Jay West
Please cc me as I'm not on the list