Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 17:38:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: find and xargs in /etc/security

On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <Pine.BSF.3.95.961124230736.12070O-100000@alive.ampr.ab.ca> Marc Slemko writes:
>
> : There is more wrong with /etc/security than that, so perhaps it is worth
> : looking at it a bit more deeply.  OpenBSD and NetBSD have a far more
> : comprehensive /etc/security.
>
> Can you elaberate as to what makes them better?

I didn't necessarily say better, just more comprehensive.  <g>

     579    2644   14887 OpenBSD/src/etc/security
      87     318    2104 FreeBSD/src/etc/security

Things like master.passwd file syntax and oddities, group file syntax and
oddities, stuff in root shell startup files (eg. .cshrc), "+" in various
files like hosts.equiv, special users with .rhosts files, home directory
permissions, mailbox permissions, /etc/exports, changes in setuid/setgid
files, permissions on block and character disk devices, special files and
binaries checksum.

Some of the stuff is a bit questionable, and in general the less output
the better when security monitoring is involved, but some is quite useful.

An option to easily add a tripwire scan wouldn't hurt, although perhaps a
security.local and a port with a good config file (ie. setup to watch
important things and ignore unimportant changes) would be better.