Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2001 13:13:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Luckie <mjl@SDSC.EDU>
To:        <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   protosw kernel module

Hi there

I am wondering if it is at all possible to
somehow dynamically append a protocol to the protocol switch (table)
mechanism with a kernel module.

I am looking at the ipprotosw.h and in_proto.c files and it
does not appear to be possible, as the inetsw[] array is declared to be a
fixed size at compile time.

I have written a protocol into the switch table with the necessary
pr_input function and it would be helpful for me to be able to deploy this
protocol as a binary .ko amongst many machines instead of distributing a
complete kernel.

I am willing to do some work to enable the kernel to do this, if it
currently cannot, if a committer is interested in adding this feature to
the kernel.  However, I guess that this type of enhancement might not be
wanted.

Matthew