Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 10:39:01 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        "Sergey S. Kosyakov" <ks@itp.ac.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please, explain!

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Sergey S. Kosyakov wrote:

> Please, explain me - can I install SRM firmware on 164LX motheboard with NT
> Alpha-BIOS ? More precisely, can I buy 164LX with AlphaBIOS and update firmware
> to SRM console? I did not find clean answer in the 164LX documentation.

Yes you can.  I have done this and it works.  Basically, you trawl round
the digital ftp server until you find the file lx164srm.com (I think its
in the v5.0 firmware release).  Put this file on the AlphaBIOS firmware
floppy and go to the firmware update section of the AlphaBIOS menus.
There will be an option to switch to SRM which will overwrite the
AlphaBIOS firmware with SRM.  To switch back, put the same floppy in the
driver and type 'nt' from SRM's ">>>" prompt.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039