Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 2013 16:35:21 -0400
From:      Tuc <ml@t-b-o-h.net>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Botched 7->8 upgrade, thoughts how to =?UTF-8?Q?recover=3F?=

Hi,

Figured this might be a bit more than -questions worthy...

I was following some instructions online about upgrading 7 to 8...
And... Well... Something went horribly wrong during "make installworld".
I lost my ssh session (Mistake 1 - Console dummy!) and now in multiuser
I can't log in. I logged in single user and commands are iffy about
working. "ls" is fine, but "ls -l" coredumps. I tried to redo the
installworld, but it seems to get somewhere in libc man pages and then
quits. Could be that "ln" is screwed.

Any thoughts on how to recover? I did an rsync of the system elsewhere
beforehand, so if it works I probably could just get it all back that
way. I was HOPING to go forward to 8. Is there some way I can do the
equiv of a "make installworld&&make installkernel" off some media so I
don't overwrite config, password, group, etc.

Thanks, Tuc