Date:      07 Mar 2002 08:50:11 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Jon Wilson <jon@netcraft.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: questions about dump on live filesystems

Jon Wilson <jon@netcraft.com> writes:

> Or can I at least rely on dump to leave things in a state such that (for
> instance) I will get a valid backup of the file at the next level-$n++
> dump?

I filed a PR on this issue yesterday:

    docs/35602: dump(8)/restore(8) pages don't explain "active file systems".

    The two man pages use "active file system" as if it has a particular
    meaning but the term is nowhere described, leaving the user
    wondering and/or adding to freebsd-questions.

    ALSO: The dump(8) map page should also explain the implications of
    using it on an active FS (an implied suggestion in the Tower of
    Hanoi paragraph), maybe in the form of a WARNING, or BUG.

And also:

    docs/35607: dump(1) page needs discussion of scary error-ignoring bug.

    The "Bugs" section's first paragraph is:

        Fewer than 32 read errors on the filesystem are ignored.

    This is just too scary and needs some explanation so that users may
    make an informed decision whether to use this for backup or not, how
    much it may be trusted, why 32 errors is no big deal, etc.

I'm too ignorant to have supplied fixes with the PRs.  If you come up
with some good answers to your and my questions, please post some info
to bugs-followup@freebsd.org with the above "docs/######" lines in the
"Subject".

Thanks.