Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 13:22:01 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: reboot,ctrl+alt+del,shutdown

That's why I did this yesterday.  In MS-DOS days, Ctrl-Alt-Del did boot the
machine, and so you learned to avoid it.  But on Windows NT, it's the secure
attention signal, used to log in and out of the system (and to get the system's
attention if something goes terribly wrong), so you are using it regularly.  The
first time I did this on FreeBSD and the system instantly booted, I was quite
surprised to say the least.  I've fixed that now.

In this case, it doesn't stop malicious persons, but it prevents a lot of
accidents.  Had there been 200 people on the machine when I pressed
Ctrl-Alt-Del, I would have been very unhappy.