Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 20:46:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <scanner@jurai.net>
To:        David Leimbach <dleimbac@earthlink.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates crash -> data recovery ?

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, David Leimbach wrote:

> Hmmm... this would seem to suggest contrary information as to the value
> of a soft-updates file system...
>
> Is there a journaling file-system in the works for FreeBSD?

Nope. Not that I am aware of.

> Just curious as to why not... Everyone and their brother is doing a
> journaling file system... NTFS is one ReiserFS is one JFS is one..  I don't
> know about XFS.

The complexity of softupdates limit's who has the ability to implement it
for one. Most people using JFS' now are blind sheep followers. There are
papers out there describgin why softupdates wins over JFS.

> There must be some merit to them...

They are an interesting past time.

-Chris Watson         (316) 326-3862 | FreeBSD Consultant, FreeBSD Geek
Work:              scanner@jurai.net | Open Systems Inc., Wellington, Kansas
Home:  scanner@deceptively.shady.org | http://open-systems.net
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"