Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 16:51:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Anderson <partek@indecent.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and the Promise 2300+ EIDE controller

> > FreeBSD was on a 515MB HD with 1048 cylinders.. I tried it with LBA mode
> > on and off. The FreeBSD partitions were at the front of the disk, so
> > being past cylinder 1024 shouldn't have been a problem.
> Well, that's still not assured if you create one big root partition;
> then it's sort of a guess as to where it's going to stick the kernel
> image.  It sounds to me like the BIOS is unable, for one reason or
> another, to read your kernel image.  That's why it hangs.  You should
> also definitely have LBA mode off.

This is how I had it:
450M FreeBSD partition
30M Swap
45M nothing

So if I'm correct, the only thing that would go over the 1024th cylinder
is the 45M unused partition.

> Try this (with LBA off):
> Install DOS on just a small (5MB or so) chunk at the beginning.  You
> may find this chunk useful in the future anyway since you can put DOS
> based diagnostics and such there.  Now install FreeBSD on the rest of
> the space, allowing it to get the geometry from the DOS partition.

Ok.. I'll back things up, get the minimal distribution(instead of
spending 2 hours during the install), and give that a try. I'm also going
to try disabling the external BIOS on this card to see if that works, but
I'll try it your way first :)

Thanks,
Dave