Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 1998 03:24:56 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where's the 3.0 press release?

> It would be nice if somebody would pipe up and say "yes, we're
> preparing it".

"No, we're not preparing it."

Why not?  Because we don't have anyone currently employed to both
write and handle the logistics of sending out press releases.  We had
someone doing this for awhile, but she sucked at it and was fired.
The person who eventually replaced her has not yet come up to speed
enough to even know where to send such press releases, much less be
able to write convincing ones for FreeBSD.  I myself suck at writing
press releases and know better than to try, not that I really
have the press contacts to get the right exposure for them anyway.

In short:  There will be press releases at some point, but not right
now.  I also have neither the time nor inclination to handshake with
someone else through the process since the last 5 people to volunteer
for this have only ended up wasting a lot of my time and producing
absolutely nothing.  It seems that press releases are something which
are a lot more easy to talk about than actually do.

- Jordan