Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:02:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, bmilekic@technokratis.com, imp@village.org, Mats Lofkvist <mal@algonet.se>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Subject:   Re: 64 bit counters again

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, John Baldwin wrote:

> FWIW, I agree that doing 64-bit counters on IA32 is more of a pain
> than its worth, so I think it's not quite the Terry vs. the world
> some people would like to believe.  Terry is trying to get people
> to use solutions that scale.  Bumping the size of the counter for
> bytes doesn't scale, it just postpones the problem a little.
>
> If you really want a 64-bit counter, go get an alpha or when 5.0
> comes out an ultrasparc or ia64 box.

  I'm sorry, but that's akin to saying that implementing SMP on i386 is more
of a pain than it is worth and if you really want a good SMP implementation
you should just buy a box from Sun. A legitimate engineering problem was
presented, presumably there is a legitimate engineering solution. Finding one
that everyone can agree on is another thing entirely... :)

  Kelly