Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 22:58:49 -0700
From:      "Kerry Davis" <kedavis@uswest.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Kernel panic on larger SCSI drives

I have successfully installed FreeBSD 4.1 on a 486-66 system with PCI
motherboard, Qlogic 1080 Wide SCSI card, and an IBM 2.1 gig SCA (80-pin with
adaptor to 68-pin) drive.  Everything is fine, and a "customized kernel"
compiled without any problems.

But I also have a Compaq/Seagate 36.4 gig SCA (80-pin with adaptor also)
drive to use for main storage, that I wasn't able to have connected during
the install/setup, or I'd get a "kernel panic."  So I disconnected it while
doing the install.  Now, even when everything else is installed
successfully, and I connect the drive in order to add it to the BSD setup, I
get a "kernel panic" during startup.

The card works for everything else.  The 36.4 gig drive does fine with the
diagnostics that are built into the SCSI card.  But BSD apparently can't
handle it, for some reason.

Right after the "Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle," it
apparently looks at the drive:

da1 at isp0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
da1: <COMPAQ blah blah> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 Device

and then it gets this:

Fatal trap 18:  integer divide fault while in kernel mode

Now, for one thing, I don't understand why it appears to be looking at the
#1 drive FIRST, rather than the #0 drive.  unless it's showing that just
because of the error.

Anyone have any ideas on this?  If it's a problem because the drive doesn't
have a filesystem on it yet, how am I supposed to CREATE one if it won't
even START?  I can't use the Handbook instructions, because they all assume
that the system will START AND RUN in order to do the commands listed.