Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 21:06:06 -0500
From:      mpd <mpd6334@cs.rit.edu>
To:        "E. J. Cerejo" <ejcerejo@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Renaming a User?

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 08:53:20PM -0500, E. J. Cerejo wrote:
> I need to rename a user and his home directory, I've been looking at the pw
> command but I'm a little confused about it, does anybody know how to do it?  I
> want it also to update everything that needs to be updated like the /etc/group
> file and passwords etc!  Thanks

There's no easy way to do this.
vipw would be where you start, however. Whatever else
is necessary depends on what's been hardcoded to use
that username/directory. (Assuming you want to keep
the same UID for the user.)

If you just need to rename the user (and the directory
doesn't matter,) you could create a second user with
the desired new username, and old home directory.
I suppose you could just make a link from a new
directory to the old one to change the name of it.

This isn't terrible difficult to do, just be careful.

mike