Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2000 21:56:33 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Booting 4.2 Problems. Interim solution ?

I have posted before about my ability to install
4.2 on my test PC - or more precisely I can install
it but it won't boot.

It boots fine if I install linux Lilo.
It boots fine if I boot from the install CD
and in the boot selector choose the installed
kernel on the hard disk.

DD or not DD made no difference.

Linux,NetBSD,OpenBSD all install without any problem

My very last effort was to use DOS fdisk, create and format
a partition, rewrite the mbr.

I reinstalled 4.2 and boot manager. No joy.
I reinstalled 4.2 and said to write a standard MBR.
Bingo. It boots.

This is not ideal, I really need the boot manager.
Has anybody any clue at all about this ?

Cliff