Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 2001 02:14:32 +0000
From:      James Greenhalgh <james-list@ntlworld.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound card volume issues

Hi - after a trawl through the mailing list archives I can't find a solution for this one.

Basically, my machine has an AWE64 in it, which works perfectly well except for one slight issue - the input and output gain mixers don't work.

I know the card is perfectly OK - it's still deafeningly loud in Windows (which cranks it up to 100% on boot..), and fine in Linux.  Looking at dmesg and /dev/sndstat, the card has actually been set up correctly.  Checking the mixer levels shows that setting them 'appears' to work - but the level never actually changes - 10 sounds idential to 100, or 0.

Here's the dmesg/etc output:

dmesg:
sbc0: <Creative SB AWE64> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x330-0x331,0x388-0x38b irq 5 drq 1,5 on isa0
pcm0: <SB DSP 4.16> on sbc0

/dev/sndstat:
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Feb 13 2001 23:20:41
Installed devices:
pcm0: <SB DSP 4.16> at io 0x220 irq 5 drq 1:5 (1p/1r channels duplex)

mixer output for the two offending functions:
Mixer igain    is currently set to   0:0   (meep.)
Mixer ogain    is currently set to  50:50  (100:100, and 0:0 sound the same...)

relevant config options:
# sound support - my awe 64
device          pcm
device          sbc
device          pca0 at isa? port IO_TIMER1
device          joy0 at isa? port IO_GAME  (yeah i know, it just lives here physically)

Master volume works, dsp level works, cd level works, the bass and treble work, the ONLY things that dont are the pesky gain controls - the sound is just about loud enough if everything is raised to max and the amp turned up to half volume - and this isn't a crappy little computer amp either ;-)  The IRQs and DMA channels the driver has selected are correct, as are the IOports, and the board most certainly is an AWE64 as it the kernel suspects.  Hand hacking mixer.c to set the initial value of ogain makes no difference (I didn't think it would to be honest, it was desperation), and the older voxware drivers just aren't interested - though thats probably just misconfiguration of the kernel options - and I'd rather be using the pcm drivers anyway.

Looking through the list - a few people seem to suffer this, does anyone have a solution?  Known bug to be fixed in 5.x?  Is there a kernel patch?

thanks,
james