Date:      Sun, 15 Nov 1998 18:20:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Would this make FreeBSD more secure?

:
:> :while installing xlockmore, I noticed that its mode is 4111 for root.
:> :...
:> :
:> :Wouldn't it be generally a good idea to make the /etc/spwd.db and
:> :the /etc/master.passwd file 640 and give them to a newly created
:> :
:> :root@voyager:~>ll /usr/X11R6/bin/xlock
:> :---x--s--x  1 root  pw  - 126976 Oct  1 08:17 /usr/X11R6/bin/xlock*
:> :
:> :What do you think? Will it make my systems more insecure with the
:> :above stuff or not? If not, wouldn't it make sense to incorporate
:> :the changes into FreeBSD? IMHO they break nothing since all programs
:>
:>     I think this is an excellent idea.  A similar method is used for
:>     the 'operator' group, to allow the dumper to dump disks without
:>     giving him write access to them.
:
:
:There are several holes in the theory.  The number one hole is
:that if I'm trusting you to read the engrpted passwords, I'm
:...

    I'm not so pessimistic.    Anything that layers security is
    better then having nothing at all.  It's easy to throw together
    examples of the failings of any scheme, but to then say that "gee,
    I'll just give up and give the program root" after shooting down a
    reasonable idea makes no sense whatsoever to me.  The failings of
    the password file really have very little to do with the concept.

    If anything, it points out the necessity of using something like
    kerberos, beefing up the password file's encryption, or using
    ssh with *'d out passwords in the password file.  This problem is
    easily surmountable.  Just because you are storing encrypted passwords
    in your password file doesn't mean that I am.

    If you take an idea and try to make it work in every possible situation,
    you wind up with nothing left at the end of the day.  That's a silly way
    to argue.

    inetd only goes so far... it is not a good way to start a subsystem
    such as sendmail or INN that you want to stick around as a daemon,
    and doesn't work at all when you use more sophisticated sendmail features
    such as when you separate the queue runs from the daemon, or if you
    put user's mailboxes in their home directories.  In order to do it right,
    you need to be able to give sendmail the capability to listen on a low
    numbered port and you need to hack /bin/mail to run an suid 'create home
    directory' program when necessary.  As I said... it requires hacking
    sendmail (or more to the point: /bin/mail) to make it work.

    Default configurations don't typically work on heavily loaded systems.
    Don't assume that we use the same configurations you use.

						-Matt