Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 1997 23:33:00 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Carey Nairn <Carey.Nairn@ccd.tas.gov.au>
Cc:        Lennart Nilhov <lennart.nilhov@kagg.gy-edu.kalmar.se>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ccd-driver

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Carey Nairn wrote:

> At 19:06 24/02/97 -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Carey Nairn wrote:
> >
> >> If you want to mirror one disk on another (i.e. make an exact duplicate)
> >> then ccd is not the solution you want.
> >>
> >	Why not?  I'm personally using it to strip 5 disks into one file
> >system for news, but according to the man page(s), ccd does support
> >mirror'ng...
> >

> from the ccd man page...
>
> The ccd driver provides the capability of combining one or more
> disks/partitions into one virtual disk.
>
> I didn't see anything about using ccd to mirror.  If you can point me to
> the relevant man page I would happily be corrected on this point.

	i've just checked 'man ccdconfig' on both 2.2-current of last
year sometime, as well as my current 3.0-current machine, and both state:

     A ccd is described on the command line and in the ccd configuration file
     by the name of the ccd, the interleave factor, the ccd configuration
     flags, and a list of one or more devices.	The flags may be represented
     as a decimal number, a hexadecimal number, a comma-separated list of
     strings, or the word ``none''. The flags are as follows:

	   CCDF_SWAP	  0x01	    Interleave should be dmmax
	   CCDF_UNIFORM   0x02	    Use uniform interleave
	   CCDF_MIRROR	  0x04	    Support mirroring
	   CCDF_PARITY	  0x08	    Support parity (not implemented yet)

     The format in the configuration file appears exactly as if it were en-
     tered on the command line.  Note that on the command line and in the con-
     figuration file, the _f_l_a_g_s argument is optional.

	   #
	   # /etc/ccd.conf
	   # Configuration file for concatenated disk devices
	   #

	   # ccd	   ileave  flags   component devices
	   ccd0 	   16	   none    /dev/sd2e /dev/sd3e

 FreeBSD			 July 17, 1995				     2