Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 22:00:44 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        ARCHIVE <archive@in-design.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help with Bind 8.*

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 12:35:48AM -0400, ARCHIVE wrote:
> Hello all;
>
> 	I noticed that some Bind's do not allow xfers of their zone files. I have
> looked over the named.conf man pages, and am gathering that one has to use
> acl some how. I have the following line in my options section of the
> named.conf:
>
> acl allow-transfer { xx.xx.xx.xx; };
>
> This however doesn't make a differance no matter what ip address I use. Am I
> missing something ? Any help is greatly appreciated.

RTFM,

  http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/docs/index.html

For this case, in your zone declaration,

  zone domain_name [ ( in | hs | hesiod | chaos ) ] {
    type zone_type;
    .
    .
    .
    allow-transfer { address_match_list };
  }

Of course, this only makes sense for 'zone_type's of 'master,'
'slave,' or 'stub.' You can also set a global default.

What you have done is set a name 'allow-transfer' that can be used as
an 'address_match_list' argument.