Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:40:25 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Advocacy post

On February 25th, I replied to a post on the freebsd-questions mailing list
which was asking for help with "Presentation of UNIX to an ignorant crowd"

I recieved the following suggestion from swear@blarg.net (Gary W.
Swearingen):

>You wrote the best advocacy-related post I've read in a long time.
>
>Please consider asking doc@freebsd.org if they'd agree to putting it
>up on freebsd.org if you'd agree to the necessary rework (by you or
>maybe someone there).  (Quote your message there for those who didn't
>see it.)  Unfortunately, I don't see a good "advocacy" place for it.
>
>Thanks.

I didn't think it was so good as to be suggested for material on
FreeBSD.org, but if so I would gladly rework it to make it appropriate. (And
reworking it would indeed require!)
The full thread can be read here:
http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/FreeBSD/151/150/7939157/

Here is the post in question:

------------------------------
I have been in that situation myself and, let me tell you, it isn't as easy
as it should be.

As far as the server part:
We all know Microsoft pushes "TCO" as a benefit of Windows. In many small
companies, they have Windows setup well by some contractor and they really
can hire a monkey to administer it, that is, they can hire a cheap MCSE that
reboots the system when it starts to get flaky and the company is very often
perfectly happy with this.
The c*'s (CEO, CTO, etc.) are probably going to expect that you will say
that BSd or Linux is free and Windows costs thousands of dollars (for a
server), because that is what they have likely heard in the news and through
the grapevine. They have also likely heard about how much cheaper MCSEs are
(which they really are, most of the time) and how Windows, according to
Microsoft, ends up being cheaper in the long run--this appeals to c*'s who
concentrate on the bottom line.
This is much easier to combat in a big company, because big companies will
need enough servers that hiring a competant admin will be worthwhile.

Anyway, what I usually do is talk about how much more reliable Unix is, I
point to the Netcraft uptime survey and point to several case studies in
which (NT, Exchange, IIS) either crapped out, was too difficult to
maintain/configure for the MCSE, or couldn't handle the load that the Unix
equivalent could. Zeus Webserver, for example, which is only available on
Unix is far faster, more scaleable, easier to maintain, and can handle
heavier loads than either Apache or IIS. (Apache 2.0 may be more competitive
and would not be a bad thing to demo).
Postfix and Qmail are both FAR faster than Exchange server (particularly
Postfix) and are far more secure (particularly Qmail. Exchange does have
some functionality that these do not have.

Anyway, Unix software generally doesn't get flaky after an arbitrary period
of time and is generally updated much faster than NT software. Point this
out. Additionally, show some numbers from reliable sources of the percentage
of NT webservers vs Unix webservers on the internet, and how that number
relates to how many NT servers are defaced/hacked vs. Unix. (Big difference,
but I am not that aforementioned reliable source)
Point out that FreeBSD has been chosen above all else by bigwigs such as
Yahoo, UUnet, etc. and demo the articles about how MS had difficulty
transferring Hotmail to NT because it couldn't hack it.
After blowing them away with fact after fact (all backed up and documented.
!.), nonchalantly point out that all of this software (except Zeus if you
use that) is free, that they need not employ someone to track the licensing,
and that due to the license it MUST be free. Many c*s fear that they are
getting what they pay for, so it is important that you stress the
functionality, stability, and most importantly--the popularity of the
software. How could Apache be twice as popular as IIS if it was crap?
See--big company A,B,C,D, and E all use Apache. Do they know something we
don't? Look, Ebay uses Zeus and says that their CPU usage went from 80% to
30%. Etc, etc.

In the desktop arena, show OpenOffice (StarOffice won't be free other than
for Solaris) and show how it can open office documents (be sure to pre-test
the office documents, and make them big nasty complex documents and point
this out) and show it saving the documents.
One thing that impressed me about certain Linux distros, probably Mandrake
as well, is that after upgrading a video card from a G200 to a G400, the
system used the card without so much as a dialogue box, whereas Windows made
me download the driver, install it, and reboot again.
Point out how reliable Unix is, and ask rhetorical questions like, "How much
productivity has been lost over the history of the company by Windows
crashing, losing data, and the employees needing to wait for it to restart
if, indeed, it ever did restart successfully?"
Point out that OpenOffice can be modified for company use if needed (you
have the source code, after all) and point out that Linux upgrades are also
free and that there is never any pressure to upgrade whereas MS always finds
a way to make you spend more on software.
Very important: Show examples of companies and governments switching from
Windows to Unix and being successful--I have seen several such stories on
the internet. Many more will follow after StarOffice 6, which will be much
cheaper than Office, is released I am sure.
Show Evolution, Mozilla, and other popular apps accessing Microsoft services
like Hotmail to show that MS's best efforts to make them incompatible have
failed (though don't word it like that, of course) and, before the
presentation, ask employees what some common programs that they use are and
find a Unix equivalent--then find ways that it is better, which is usually
easy.

It takes quite a bit of work, but all but the most dedicated MS shop that
does not have many custom MS-only apps will usually see the light. If the
company has many custom Windows apps, well, it wouldn't be a good idea for
them to switch. Don't bother mentioning WINE, believe me. (Though, during a
presentation, you might have WINE preinstalled and setup and nonchalantly
show Linux/BSD running some Windows apps)

Good luck. Sorry for the lack of references, but I am not at home where such
info is kept.