Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 14:52:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Hetzels@aol.com
To:        nate@mt.sri.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSup release identity

In a message dated 97-10-08 14:24:22 EDT, nate@mt.sri.com writes:

> Ok folks, we've discussed this to death, and even had a couple of
>  consensus's.  But, nobody has come up with 'code' that implements any of
>  this.  It's all a moot point until someone comes up with a way to
>  time-stamp things *IN CVS* on freefall.
>
>  I suggest spending less time arguing, and more time coming up with a
>  *solution*, and not a proposed solution.  Changes to the tree,
>  newvers.sh, etc....

We're trying to come up with the solution but it basically, involves three
areas.
1. Creation of a .timestamp file added to the source tree.

2. Create a new newvers.sh that sets the timestamp.

  a. "uname -r" should output the release level. And I believe that everyone
is in agreement that it should use a timestamp instead of some counter.

  b.  "uname -v" output. Currently, we're tring to decide if the CURRENT,
RELEASE, STABLE tags should go or stay.

I'm for keeping them as it makes it clear as to what the user is running.

RKW, is for removing them.

I believe that it is 2:1, not sure who's favor right now.

I currently have a patch to newvers.sh that uses a .timestamp file.  This
will cause uname -r to show the release level + time stamp.

2. Master Source Repository

  The .timestamp file has to be created after each update to the source
trees.

--timestamp--

#!/bin/sh
date "+%C%m%d%H%M" > .timestamp

--timestamp --

 How do we implement timestamp so that it updates the .timestamp file at the
Master Source Repository?

This is the only real question left.

Scot