Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:59:52 -0500
From:      Jamie Novak <novak@qwest.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   "jumpstation" configuration

I hope this is okay to post here. I was torn between this list and
freebsd-general...

At work, we have a FreeBSD jumpstart server configured, more or less,
as described on Alfred Perlstein's web page.
(http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/pxe/)

The jumpstation itself works great and we've been using it for well
over a year to do automated installs of FreeBSD on Intel-based systems
of varying types. They've all had NICs which used the "fxp" driver.

Recently, however, we've started purchasing new servers that have
onboard gigabit NICs which use the "em" driver. FreeBSD recognizes it
and handles it just fine (tested using a CD install), but we're
running into a problem with the network boot/install that I thought
maybe somebody else could help me with.

On the fxp servers, they'll network boot and install without complaint,
so we know we have DHCP, tftp, nfs, etc. working (I would assume) the
way they should.

Our the em-based servers, the jumpstart process will get an IP address
from DHCP, it'll get the kernel image from tftp, it'll go through the
boot screen and get to the actual FreeBSD install.cfg (sets a bunch of
variables, the hostname, the netDev=em0, etc.) but as soon as it gets
to "mediaSetNFS" in the install.cfg, it dies without warning or error
-- the install screen just says "Command `mediSetNFS' failed."

Does anybody know what sorts of things I could look for to figure out
why it gets this far, but then fails? (As I mentioned before, nfs
appears to be configured correctly, because the fxp-based servers blow
right past that point and get to the actual install without a
problem.) I don't even know where to start...

- Jamie