Date:      Sat, 06 Sep 2003 21:21:15 -0700
From:      paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD install corrupts neighboring partitions

Brett Glass wrote:
> I'm attempting to install FreeBSD 4.8 on a system which will boot it and
> also Windows 2000 Server. I've done this with two multiboot utilities:
> the simple boot manager that comes with FreeBSD and V Communications'
> System Commander.
>
> In both cases, I have found that when I install FreeBSD it corrupts
> neighboring NTFS and FAT partitions. After the install, the OSes in
> these partitions fail to boot or the partitions become entirely
> unreadable. Whether I tell FreeBSD not to install an MBR or whether I
> tell it to install its boot manager, the result is the same: Neighboring
> partitions are being corrupted to the point where one can not get to
> data on them.
>
> I realize that dual booting is not common, but I need to do it on this
> laptop. Has anyone else on the lists encountered this problem?

I have dual-booted this laptop (an IBM A20p) with Win2K and a
succession of Linux, NetBSD, and FreeBSD. Other than the annoying
problem of a couple years back when IBM chose to label its
hibernation slice with the same ID as FreeBSD uses, thereby
rendering FreeBSD unusable, it's worked just fine.

Sounds to me like the partitions are overlapping or otherwise not
being kept away from each other, but its hard to know for sure
without any information off the system.
--
Paul Beard
<http://paulbeard.no-ip.org/movabletype/>;

A man said to the Universe: "Sir, I exist!"

"However," replied the Universe, "the fact has not created in me a
sense of obligation."
		-- Stephen Crane