Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:17:14 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Dennis Jun <dennisjun@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD licence vs GPL

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 01:32:53AM -0500, Dennis Jun wrote:
> Hello all!
>=20
> A Linux friend of mine and I were chatting bout the BSD licence versus the
> GPL. He was asking me how *BSD developers felt about that their code could
> (and has) being used by commercial companies and in turn becomes closed in
> the end. That is, you don't know if your code will stay open or not. He
> asked doesn't that bother BSD developers? I thought this was a very
> interesting question. I couldn't give him a really good answer since I'm
> not a programmer. So I wanted to ask some people who do program and
> contribute to BSD what their thoughts on this is. Does it bother you? Is
> it even an issue? Much thanx in advance.

I think it's great!  If it saves someone the time, money and effort of
redeveloping similar code from scratch, then we've helped to raise the
bar of software quality in use out there by providing a high-quality
starting point they can work from, and in some small way made the
world a better place.

Kris

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu--